Saturday, May 18, 2013

Identity

So I have been playing around with my identity the last year or so and have yet to know what or who I really am. I have this idea in my head of who I want to be when I grow up but I am still in the process of figuring out what I have to do now in order for my future me to happen. I keep making little adjustments every few weeks as almost a trial period to see if it is something I like or not. This week has been my be a productive/ planner person period and I think I like it enough to keep trying it for a few more weeks. The few identities that I have figured out so far are the following:

I think my number one identity is being a wife. If I ever fail as a wife then I really start making changes. I associate a lot of my happiness on how well my marriage is doing. Sometimes Nate and I just get a little out of sync and I have to really focus my goals back onto our relationship. I don't want him to just be my partner in life. That isn't good enough for me. He is my confidant, companion, eternal buddy, and best friend. My biggest identity is being all of those things to him.

My second identity is being a mother. I really did not imagine how happy a little person could make me. Nathan and I are constantly telling each other how grateful we are for Kendrick. It is hard to imagine a time when he was not in our lives. Even when Kendrick is being difficult or grumpy we both count our blessings that he is part of our family. Somehow he fits perfectly into our lives and makes us feel like the happiest people in the world.

My third identity is my hair. This one surprised me a bit because I didn't know it was a part of my identity until I cut it all off. I thought it would be fun to have a look that I had never had before but boy oh boy did I learn a lesson. Over the past year when I looked in the mirror I felt like I was looking at a stranger. It just was not me to have short/thin hair. I never got used to it. Luckily hair grows and is long and thick enough now where I feel like I see me again.

The best part about dreaming about the person you want to be is that when you reach the age of where you were dreaming it is amazing to see how far you have come. I used to dream about being 21-22 years old and my reality is better than any of those dreams. How amazing is that? I think if I keep working on being a better person than the same will be true about the person I dream about when I am 30. Happy dreaming everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment