Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What I've learned this weekend

We had the opportunity to drive to Utah this weekend and enjoy some special events. Towards the beginning of January we were told that Holly (Nate's sister) would be visiting. After about a week of planning we decided to drive her back to Utah and hear her give her missionary farewell talk rather than fly her back. We made plans to drive there Friday, spend time with my family Saturday, Nate's family on Sunday, and drive back Monday. 

Last Sunday we got a call from Nate's mom telling us that she was going to be remarried and this time be sealed for time and all eternity to her ex-husband, Perry on Saturday the 18th. Her sealing to Nate's Dad had been cancelled and they wanted to take advantage of everyone being in town for Holly's farewell. We were not exactly shocked by this news because she had been dating Perry for awhile and last time I visited Utah we had talked about her remarrying him. Mostly it was hard to accept how quickly it was happening and feel like I would not have a lot of time to spend with my family or have one on one time with her before her marriage.

We were asked many times by several different people how we felt about her marriage. Our answer was always the same; "If Perry is what makes mom happy than we can support her decision in remarrying him." 

I did not realize exactly what it meant to support Nate's mom. I just figured that if I showed up to the wedding and told everyone that I supported her that I did. It wasn't until I was sitting in the temple that I realized at that moment that I possibly didn't. I wanted out. I wanted to bail. It was the first time sitting in the temple that I did not feel the spirit. I did not have a Christlike love for Perry so how could I support him marrying Nate's angelic mother? Many thoughts raced through my head and if it wasn't for wanting to support Nate and his sweet grandmother talking to me I possibly would have left. I didn't want to distract from their special moment with my negative attitude and yet I was struggling with something I thought I was happy about. 

I AM SO GRATEFUL I DID NOT LEAVE!! I have never ever felt the spirit fill a room so quickly. Within moments of the sealer talking I knew that Nate's mother was making a righteous choice. The sealer said that they had been brought together by the Lord, that he could feel that and I believe everyone else could feel it too. I had yet to fully let go of the hurt Perry originally caused her but within minutes knew that he was a different man. He had used the atonement in ways that I will probably never understand and for that I was able to feel a respect for him that I had never felt even before their divorce. Perry loves Nathan's mother and he is the happily ever after to her life story. He may be different than me but he is still one of God's children and I know for a fact that God loves him and his sacrifice to turn his life around after their divorce. 

After they were sealed we had a chance to hug and congratulate them. Originally I was partially nervous for this moment but by the end of their sealing I could not wait for my turn to congratulate them. I was overcome by love for the both of them and their decisions to recommit to one another. I am so proud of them and the sacrifices that they have made in order to be sealed for time and all eternity. They both taught me how to use the atonement to forgive others and how to really love the person needing forgiveness. 

My learning did not stop here however. On the way to Holly's farewell talk we passed the newly married couple on the freeway and because of our new car they did not immediately notice us passing them. I was able to see the love in their eyes as they talked like best friends while driving down the freeway. Nate's mom truly is happy because of Perry and I feel so lucky to have him back in our lives because of the happiness that he gives to her. 

Holly's farewell talk was on the scripture Doctrine and Covenant 18:10. It is about every soul being great in the sight of God. Nate's mom sat behind us playing with Kendrick for most of the talk and I know for a fact that God thinks she and Perry are great. They are meant to be together and divorcing for a time is what allowed their love story to truly blossom. It is different than my own love story but it is still just as beautiful. I am so excited that they both have one another and they do not have to venture this life alone.

Holly and Kendrick standing in Cindy and Cecil's kitchen addition

I have always loved Nathan's family. They accepted me from day one and I feel so loved in their presence. This weekend I grew to love them more. Each one of them has a light that radiates from them and warms the soul. They love deeply and I feel so blessed to be apart of that love. There were many laughs and memories shared that I hope to never forget. One of them being Nathan sleep talking... which he is currently doing as I write this. I am so stinkin happy to have married into the Crow family.

P.S. I did end up having a few hours to visit my family and a wonderful friend. I forget how nice it is to be in Utah. Arizona is my home but Utah has a place in my heart that will never be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment